top of page

How to request a certificate of sponsorship

Once your sponsor license is granted you may need to request a Certificate of Sponsorship for a Skilled Worker Visa. We will explain the steps involved in requesting a CoS.


Step 1: Understand the two Types of Certificates of Sponsorship


There are two types of Certificates of Sponsorship: Undefined and Defined CoS. Undefined are for skilled workers who are already in the UK and switching to a new employer or extending their stay with their current employer. Defined CoSs are for skilled workers who are applying from outside the UK


Step 2: Check Your Allocation


Before requesting an Undefined CoS, you should check your allocation. You can check your allocation by logging into the Sponsor Management System (SMS). You may already have an Undefined CoS available to assign to the skilled worker, in which case you will not need to request a further Undefined CoS.


You should note that for a Defined CoS you will always have to make a specific request for a Defined CoS using your sponsor license account.


Step 3: Enter Employee Details


Once you have checked your allocation, you can request a CoS by entering the employee's details into your sponsor account. You will need to provide the following information:


- The employee's name, nationality, and date of birth

- The job title and job code

- The salary and start date

- The employee's contact details


Once you have entered the employee's details you can submit the request for a CoS.


Step 4: Wait for the Decision


After submitting the request, you will need to wait for a decision. If your request is successful, you will receive the CoS by email. If your request is unsuccessful, you will receive a reason for the refusal and guidance on how to appeal the decision.


Occasionally the Home Office may require supporting documents to demonstrate that the employee meets the eligibility criteria for a Skilled Worker Visa. These may include:


  • The employee's CV

  • Evidence of their qualifications and experience

  • A detailed job description


Requesting a Certificate of Sponsorship for a Skilled Worker Visa involves various steps and requirements that you need to be aware of. As a UK sponsor license holder, it is important to ensure that you understand the process and provide all the necessary information and supporting documents. If you need help navigating the sponsorship process or have any questions about requesting a CoS, contact us and speak with one of our immigration solicitors.

bottom of page